Who are we?
We will assist anyone that is thinking about sharing their story with the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide. There is no income testing – we can and will help you.
We have staff around Australia who provide a culturally safe trauma-informed service. We understand the impacts of trauma and its effects on mobs’ healing. The Royal Commission has no power over us.
What do we do?
We offer free and private legal advice to members of the public, including members and former members of the Australian Defence Force, as well as to their families, caregivers and supporters, about:
- taking part in the Royal Commission
- your legal rights when sharing information with the Royal Commission
- how you are protected when sharing information with the Royal Commission.
We can talk to you about how you can:
- safely share your experiences
- protect your privacy
- overcome any hurdles you may face when sharing your stories.
We can also:
- support you to have your say
- support you in a private meeting
- connect you with other culturally appropriate services, like counselling, advocacy, and other legal support that have nothing to do with the Royal Commission
Call the Defence and Veterans Legal Service on 1800 33 1800 visit our website defenceveteranslegalservice.org.au or email email@example.com
If you are hearing or speech impaired you can contact us by calling the national relay service (NRS) on 133 677 or TTY 02 9219 5126
We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
All our resources are free. Email us to order copies of this publication.
Publication date: 10 May 2023
Publication type: Brochure