The Defence and Veterans Legal Service is committed to ensuring digital accessibility for the defence and veteran community. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone, and applying the relevant accessibility standards.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disability. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA. The Defence and Veterans Legal Service website is generally conformant with WCAG 2.0 level AA.
Additional accessibility considerations
Although our goal is WCAG2.0 Level AA conformance, we have also applied some Level AAA success criteria. We will continue to work towards WCAG2.1 conformance.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of the Defence and Veterans Legal Service website. Please let us know if you encounter accessibility barriers on our website:
- Phone: 07 3917 0407
- Email: the web team. We try to respond to feedback within 5 business days.
Limitations and alternatives
Despite our best efforts to ensure accessibility of the Defence and Veterans Legal Service, there may be some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations, and potential solutions. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for the Defence and Veterans Legal Service:
- We always aim to communicate clearly, and as simply as possible; however some of the content may require the use of legal terms because of the nature of the website.
- While the site has been created to be as accessible as possible, some of the website has not yet been fully user-tested with people with disability.
- Some of our resources contain materials (including PDF) which are owned and hosted externally, and these may not adhere to the same accessibility standards. You need Adobe Acrobat Reader software on your computer or device to view PDFs. It is available as a free download from the Adobe website. The Accessibility Resource Centre at Adobe provides a user guide to assist users of screen readers to read the content of PDF documents.
- This site has been optimised to work across all modern browsers, and it is recommended to use Internet Explorer 11+, the latest Firefox and Chrome versions for optimal performance.
Accessibility of the Defence and Veterans Legal Service resources
There are a range of resources available to users on this website. We strive to provide accessible options and to reproduce the information included in our resources in different formats to improve accessibility. We acknowledge that each individual resource may not be universally accessible due to the platform on which it is created.
The Defence and Veterans Legal Service self-assessed the accessibility of our website using the WAVE web accessibility evaluation tool developed by WebAim.
We also plan to organise an independent external accessibility audit.
Last updated 8 November 2022